There are several types of information you can import via CSV file within Gymdesk:
- Member information, including member names, phone numbers, email addresses, etc.
- Attendance records, including date/time of check-in, member names, ranks/levels, session name, day, time, instructor, etc.
- Marketing leads, including name, email, phone, date created, source, etc.
- Products, including product name, price, SKU, category, and custom categories like color or size.
This article will detail what a CSV file is, how it can be obtained or created, and additional tips for a smooth import process in Gymdesk.
A CSV (Comma-Separated Values) file is a file type used to store information in a structured way. It's called "comma-separated" because the data inside the file is organized into rows and columns, like a table.
For example, you have a list of names, ages, and favorite colors for a group, and you want to keep this information in a file. Instead of writing it in a regular paragraph format, a CSV file lets you put each person's information in a separate row, and the different pieces of information (name, age, color) for each friend in separate columns.
In this CSV file, each row represents a different person, and the data for each person is organized in columns. The comma is used to separate the data in each column.
CSV files can be easily obtained via export from many providers, like Stripe, Square, Salesforce, or any spreadsheet or database application. Various programs can also create and read CSV files, making it a simple and standard way to store and share data.
Follow these steps to create a CSV file in Microsoft Excel:
- Open Excel on your computer.
- Enter your data into the Excel worksheet. Each column should represent a different attribute or field, and each row should represent a record or entry.
- Ensure that your data is organized properly, with consistent column headings in the first row and corresponding data in subsequent rows. If pulling from another system, edit your data as needed.
- Click on the File menu in the top left corner of the Excel window.
- Select Save As or Save As Another File Type (depending on your Excel version).
- In the Save As dialog box, navigate to the location (or folder) where you want to save the CSV file.
- Choose a name for your CSV file and enter it in the File name field. Make sure to add the ".csv" file extension at the end of the filename.
- In the Save as type dropdown menu, select CSV (Comma delimited) or CSV (Comma separated values).
- Click the Save button to save the Excel file as a CSV file.
- If prompted with any warning messages regarding the limitations of CSV files, review and acknowledge them as needed. Because CSV files are plain text and do not support advanced formatting, you may be warned about losing certain formatting or features that are specific to Excel.
Follow these steps to create a CSV file in Google Sheets:
- Open Google Sheets.
- Go to your web browser and navigate to Google Sheets (sheets.google.com).
- Sign in to your Google account if you're not already signed in.
- Start a New Sheet.
- Click on the + Blank button to start a new blank spreadsheet.
- Enter Data.
- Enter your data into the spreadsheet, placing each item in its respective cell. You can use different rows for different data entries and different columns for different attributes.
- Save as CSV.
- Once you've entered all your data, click on File in the top left corner of the Google Sheets interface.
- From the drop-down menu, select Download. In the submenu, choose Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet).
- Choose Download Location.
- Google Sheets will prompt you to select the download location for your CSV file.
- Choose the desired location on your computer or connected cloud storage and click Save.
You can use either of the above methods (Excel or Sheets) to create and save your CSV file, which can then be uploaded to Gymdesk for any of the import options described in the first paragraph of this article: members, attendance records, marketing leads, or products.
Tips for a smooth import
When importing members, you will see once you’ve uploaded the CSV file that there is a date format option under Import Options. Select the format that matches the date format in your file. For example, if your file shows dates as 06/13/2024, select month/day/year in your Import Options.
You can read more about member imports here in Migrating from a different provider.
Similarly to the import members process described above, you’ll need to ensure proper date formatting for importing attendance, once you’ve reached the Import Options step. Read the instructions on-screen for additional guidance on preparing your CSV file for upload.
The leads import process includes the same date formatting step described above, once the CSV file uploads.
When importing products to your point-of-sale or online shop, your CSV file for import must include at least the following two columns.
You can optionally include all of the following fields:
Product image (URL)
Option 1 - Title
Option 1 - Value
Option 2 - Title
Option 2 - Value
Option 2 - SKU
Note that the order of the columns does not matter, as you can match product information fields once you’ve imported your file.
You can read more about importing products here in Product Management.